Monthly Archives: November 2012

Salmon Arm’s history of cooperation and community

The town’s leading merchant, 1904 photo courtesy of the Salmon Arm Museum

The first regions of the Shuswap to be settled were those with the best agricultural potential and the best access.  The extensive natural grasslands adjacent to the fur brigade trail between Fort Kamloops and the Okanagan prompted the beginning of the Shuswap’s first permanent settlement of Grand Prairie, now Westwold, in 1864. Soon after, Whitfield Chase purchased his acreage from former fur trader John Todd and in 1867 Alexander Fortune pre-empted land just south of where Enderby is today. Although settlement occurred far later for what is now the Shuswap’s largest community, Salmon Arm, it progressed rapidly after the Canadian Pacific Railway was completed in 1886.

Continue reading

Pipeline – the protest music video

Trappers Landing News

Original St. Mary’s Church in Sorrento, built in 1911

A special edition of the Sorrento Wave to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Sorrento. Includes articles that previously appeared as Shuswap Passion columns in the Shuswap Market News and in the Trappers Landing News, a magazine published by Brian Hurstfield in the 1980s. Download this 12 page magazine here: Trappers Landing News

Working towards a sustainable recreation plan

The Shuswap Lake Integrated Planning Process (SLIPP) was initiated in 2007 and after three years a strategic plan was developed with three basic goals that address the need for protecting water quality, and ensuring that both development and recreational experiences are sustainable. Since the plan was created, SLIPP has focused on monitoring water quality, improving compliance and enforcement and restoration of foreshore habitat. This year, efforts have begun to develop a recreation management plan for Shuswap, Little Shuswap, Mara and Adams Lakes.

Continue reading